Friday 20 January 2012

Bon Appetit, yes Indeed!


I found Julie & Julia on the Golden Globe listings from a few years ago, given the fact that Meryl Streep of course had been nominated in some category. Running out of movies to watch I downloaded the film anyway, despite the fact that its rating on IMDB isn't that high, and decided to watch it when I had absolutely nothing else to do.

So yesterday evening, while I piled up a mountain of laundry on my bed that needed to be ironed, I decided to let the movie play in the background while I was forcing myself to iron clothes which I should have done a couple of months ago. But then again, I found a new reason to put the laundry aside, and this one was a good excuse.

Julie & Julia is about the true life-stories of two women, separated by decades, struggling to turn their mundane lives around and all with the help of food. Meryl Streep plays Julia Child (the woman who made French cooking do-able), who had barely ever boiled an egg in her life. Julia, in the 1950’s, when she moved to Paris with her husband, takes up cooking lessons and eventually masters the art of French cooking, determined to make it simple for all. The film keeps travelling between Julia’s life and Julie Powell’s (played by Amy Adams) struggles in the early 2000’s, who lives with her husband in a small apartment in Queens. A washed-up writer, who hates her job, decides to give cooking a shot. She eventually begins writing a blog, a sort of competition for herself, attempting to cook all the recipes in Child’s humongous cookbook, in a year.

Although Adams' haircut looked a little bit like a WIG and she didn't seem to be getting any fatter with an entire year of all that French food, the movie was a delight, because it told me what I always knew (ever since I broke open locked pantry doors as a 5 year old). Food=good things will happen to you. Also, both the women eventually become successful writers and famous people, and I couldn't help thinking to myself, what am I doing wrong?I eat a lot and sit at my computer and write all day...but then it is fairy tales such as these that make life a journey through a tunnel with a light at the end (no you can't see it like that!You've got to squint). Disclaimer : Julia Child's character might get on your nerves and you might begin to wonder who on Earth (or outerspace) stole Meryl Streep and replaced her with this high-pitched overtly-happy big lady, but I looked it up...she has played Julia Child perfectly. 


So if you for one, do not have any ironing to do over the weekend and if all you’ve ever dreamt of, is to watch a movie about butter, Julie & Julia might just be your cup of tea, or creme brulle if you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment